Feeling a little less alone through vulnerability

Over a lot of the discussions we've had as a class, there is definitely a running theme in how challenging STEM work can be. Challenges can take the form of many things for college students, such as overwork and feelings of inadequacy. Alongside those fears is loneliness, which is common among any STEM student having to dive into classes that carry the connotation of being "Easy F's". Whether it's counting the white speckled tile of a lab floor or listening to the low growl of an AC all day, it seems that there is somewhat of inherent loneliness to working in anything STEM, and it at times feels like we can't share that with each other. Very much in line with our readings of class book daring greatly, it is so easy to feel like we are the only ones who are struggling in our fields, especially when the culture praises individuals who can work with the greatest of ease (which is especially on display in Daring Greatly Chapter 3).

So what might be the remedy? Based on my interpretation of the video this week by Brene Brown I would argue its vulnerability. Dr. Brene Brown states in her TEDTalk that people with a strong sense of love and belonging do so by believing they themselves deserve it. If we are to apply that to how we can hold ourselves back as outlined in Daring Greatly's section on shame, we could infer that the techniques that result in a better understanding of self-worth would also yield a better sense of love and belonging as well.

Given all this, I think I need to make sure that I am not only adequate in my understanding of myself, but that I have achieved a lot and I shouldn't sell myself short. Whether I'm sending in resumes or thinking to myself on the job, working to not only state that I am adequate but that I do deserve to feel like a belong. In fostering that, I believe I can work passed that loneliness I described earlier, and that may very well not just aid in my mental health but also my productivity!

Comments

Popular Posts