Week 3 : Finally in the Swing of Things

3rd week is rolled around and I think I finally have a feel for the internship. Right now I'm bouncing between interning for the IT department and building robotic mechanisms in the bio labs. It is honestly kind of a cool combo, a bit of the hands on and a bit of the studying. On certain days it is a little bit of a work load, but after some scheduling re-organizing it is not a problem at all.
Pseudo Code for Water Tank 

With the IT department I started the week by cleaning out a closet, nothing new. It was essentially just one big tedious step up as I had to undo 3 racks of cat-5 cables. Needless to say I ended working longer than scheduled, with my whole day at school running about 13 hours. In fact I had done a 4.5 hour shift, took a 15 min. break, then went to my night class till 10 pm right after. I remember getting home Monday night and feeling dead as a door nail, probably one of the best sleeps I've had in a while if I am being perfectly honest.

As for what I had been doing in the bio labs, all STEM scholars were writing up their Research Proposals. From what I understand, it is essentially a mock proposal so we can better understand how to go about these when we have to present ideas for say funding or backing from a University. Which when I put it like that is very much appreciated, as it is for the benefit of all participants of the STEM program.

A variable table for the watering bot
With that in mind, I writing my proposal on  on an autonomous watering bot a fellow STEM scholar and am working on.Hopefully it will encourage more people to own house plants. We started by pseudo coding the bot, having it operate on 2 primary classes. The first was to have a process that will determine when the soil of then plant has dried out. The second is to determine how much remaining water is left in it the tank of water. In regards to the written portion, we had outlined the whole paper out with relative ease, and even created a variable table. Now it is just a matter of wrapping all this information up neatly in a 12 point font. Along side with this weekly post I intend to also post the proposal on a separate post.

Comments

Popular Posts